View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Semi-OT, but FWIW I've heard great things about music being great therapy for

As a hobbyist I never understood how some people could be so obsessed about achieving perfection of others' compositions. For me that also led to frustration until at one point I decided to step back and try to see the forest instead of the individual leaves on every tree, as it were. I don't play songs verbatum now, but now I can actually play entire songs instead of the old "I could only memorize up to this point" trap that I used to (and sometimes still do) fall into.

Going even further, I learned that by learning parts of songs and playing around with them I could come up with ideas (or at least different arrangements) all by myself. I'm trying to flesh that out into actually penning my own works. The only problem there is the frustration that I hardly feel as if I've truly written anything "original."

My point is, they call it "playing" for a reason. If it becomes frustrating at all I just put it away for awhile until I either feel refreshed or inspired.
Hi Neil,
Bravo to you for reaching the point of doing your own compositions! It's really
the ultimate expression of ones guitar-lifetime experience.

Of course it is not easy, and originality is hard to come by, but there's nothing wrong with mixing and matching snips of what you've digested over the years. It's a good excercise in the ultimate quest.

The trick is being able to avoid some of the pitfalls that come along with 'doing your own thing'.

People will always request something they've heard instead of asking 'Have you written anything of your own?' Stick to your guns.........

Just don't become easily satisfied with penning a catchy lick, and then surrounding it with lots of fluff...........or at least be able to tell when that's what you're doing.

People will do anything to 'finish something'..........Indeed I always have 3 or 4 themes that are in the process of being 'born' completely. Some have taken many, many years, but almost alway have been worth the wait.

Remember: No wine before its time:-)

Be well,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/