View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
... They are so accurate that you tune more accurately than you ever have, only to discover your guitar still plays out of tune.

Imagine that, most accurate tuner in the world now assisting us to be less accurate in a precise fashion. ...
hi lj,

i don't agree with this. i know what you are talking about is the difference between well temperament and tweaking/sweetening a tuning for playing in a certain key. however, an inaccurate tuner isn't going to get a sweetened tuning, it's just going to be a less precise well temperament tuning. and to play in all keys, an accurate and precise well tempered tuning will be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
...Accuracy in this context really means unbiased. Error is random rather than systematic. Bias in this contexts isn't a prejudicial term. It simply refers to the relationship between the central tendency of the observations and whether or not it corresponds to the true score. The dispersion is centered around the true score in an unbiased (accurate) measurement. In a biased instance, the dispersion is not centered around the true score. That is, even if you control for dispersion through sampling, the result would be biased (i.e., wouldn't converge on the true score).

Precision is just another term for low dispersion or lack of random error. Precision doesn't address whether you're actually measuring what you want to measure but simply that you're measuring something with consistency. If I used a really good light meter to measure pitch, I could get good precision (consistency) but the variable I was consistently measuring would be the wrong one (reflected light, not vibrational frequency of the strings).

Calibration, strictly speaking, is a different parameter. In formal measurement theory, accuracy is measured by the correlation between obtained scores and true scores. ...
very good and helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post

I'm enjoying the discussion, folks!

Phil
me, too. i really enjoy threads like this that exercise the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
This is the most succinct way to differentiate "accuracy" and "precision" as commonly used in measurement theory:

Calibration is the process of adjusting the center of the distribution to be closer to the reference point.

Simple as pie.
this image didn't show for me, but it was useful and can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

Last edited by mc1; 01-17-2014 at 05:43 PM.