View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

The whole gear chain interacts so it gets pretty difficult to predict what a particular preamp will do with a particular mike and the outcome recorded in a particular room.

In my own little journey I started with a pair of AKG C1000 mikes and an older MAudio OMNI preamp and a noisey computer and I then recorded most of my first CD.

Some significant steps (sound wise and monetary wise) along the way was Gefell M300 mikes and a REM ADI-2 (preamp and AD converter) followed by a Great River MP-2H preamp.

The next step was a RME Fireface 800 - no more internal computer soundcard needed.

A significant improvement (at least to my ears) was bypassing RMEs AD conversion using a Mytek Stereo96 ADC (really like this little bugger (highly recommended - if I feel rich again I might go for the Mytek 8X96 for more channels).

Then I got the urge for a pair of Gefell M295 mikes followed by a NPNG DMP-2NW preamp.

A year or two ago I put up acoustic pads all over the room.

All these changes made a difference. I just have to go back and listen to my earlier recordings to remind myself of that fact. It is difficult to say exactly what particular change did what and to what degree however.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above