Thread: Cheap Bass
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
...As for amps, I have encountered some used Carvin combos that sounded great considering the very reasonable price point, as around here at least, Carvin does not seem to retain value.
MB12 (the dedicated bass-only version of the AG300) owner here:

I've been familiar with Carvin equipment since the mid-80's - had a former band-bud who owned one of those oak-cab X-100 Boogie-clones (still kicking myself for not buying one back when) and worked with a couple sound guys who used their power amps - and all their stuff is well-engineered and tough as nails, not to mention the extremely reasonable prices even when new; that said, I find their bass gear skewed toward a distinctly "modern" sound. Perhaps it's the fact that mine is a 3-way system (12"/6"/tweeter), but it's definitely pitched to the slap-&-pop/roundwound crowd; even with the tweeter turned off it has a glassy "in-your-face" quality, and in spite of the advertised -3dB@50Hz response (approximately low G#) there's no natural warmth - my flatwound-equipped Gibson SG bass requires extensive EQ tweaking to get a useable tone, whereas every other bass amp I own (including my cheapo '80s Peavey Minx 110) is a plug-&-play affair. It's got a few good things going for it - 30-pound total weight (I'm not getting any younger), compact size (not much bigger than my Minx), 250W power, switchable pre/post DI, the aforementioned EQ flexibility, on-board compressor - and in that light it'll be my grab-&-go rig for a while. Although it's got the 'nads to play a medium-size gig, you're going to need a 15" (or 18", if you can get it) cab to put the rumble back in that lowest half-octave - and forget about using it as a stand-alone if you're a 5- or 6-string player; unfortunately Carvin discontinued their full-size 1x15"/1x18" bass cabs a couple years ago (the current MB15 cab is -3dB@60Hz - useless in this application) - and the extra bottom kinda defeats the purpose of a compact rig anyway...