View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I like the direction arrow on the binding router, will put one on mine when I finally work out which router gets that duty. And I broke down and picked up a bottle of SuperSoft. It bothered me that shipping and duty was more than the cost of the bottle but there are some times you really need it. The guitar is looking great.

I often write little notes on my tools as reminders. As silly as it may seem it has saved me a lot of grief and mistakes, which I learned the hard way, if you get my drift? BTW, I always climb cut (in reverse of the normal direction of cutting) when routing binding channels. I also climb cut when flush routing the top, back and peghead veneer too. There is less risk of blowing out chunks of wood, which would ruin one's day.

I hope you ordered the SuperSoft 2 Fred? It works much better than the original formula. For those inquiring minds, SuperSoft is a liquid wood softening agent that allows difficult to bend woods a chance of greater success during the bending operation. Somehow SuperSoft allows the wood to be more pliable.

Highly figured woods [usually] pose the most risk when bending them. As you can see, the curly walnut bindings broke in several pieces during the first attempt bending them. I did not use SuperSoft 2 in the first bend.

Since I learned [the hard way], the second batch of curly walnut bindings got a healthy saturation of SuperSoft 2 and they did not break during bending.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 01-17-2018 at 07:36 AM.