View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 PM

I too think that archtops are generally far more versatile than the very narrow realm to which they seem to have been relegated since the flattop guitar became the predominant choice of acoustic guitar. Changes in musical style sure has played a role in that as much as did the electrified age of guitar. Personally, I do prefer the sound and feel of an archtop guitar and I think most any sort of acoustic style can be reasonably played on one. Certainly there are compromises and limitations especially where the musical ideal is toward jangle, ultra resonance, and notes that carry forever, or chord strumming that sizzles with unending shimmer(Taylor). That would seem to be an idealistic territory for the modern flattop and one an archtop would not directly duplicate, though the result may well be tolerable to the ears of some listeners and not completely offensive to a majority....just not the preference for most. I do think a reasonable Spanish sound can indeed be successfully coaxed from the depths of an acoustic archtop. The guitar work on Marty Robbins' recording of El Paso was done on an archtop guitar from most all accounts I have read. For me, that 5 minutes or so of guitar work is truly some of the most memorable acoustic guitar in the country music genre and sounds very gut string guitar-ish to me and to most folks, I imagine. Like most folks here, I have flattop, archtop, nylon string, resonator, and electric guitars. I like them all. But of them all, I enjoy the sound, feel, challenge , and certainly the rewards of coaxing sweet tones from archtop guitars. I do not play jazz and my archtops are of the very meek variety so my commentary must be taken with a grain of salt... I am more Mother Maybelle variety archtop. If my musical tastes were different my opinions and preferences would most likely be a bit different as well. It doesn't hurt that my Father played archtops. I never saw him play anything other than an archtop. Had he lived longer I am certain he would have had some flatops in his hands....

Last edited by gmr; 11-07-2016 at 07:00 PM.