Thread: Line 6 Helix
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Saxman View Post

—If your guitar already have a pickup/preamp, why do you need plug it on the Helix guitar In?

My guitar is a Yamaha NCX700C, that have "transducers" and a preamp with EQ onboard. It's has an "active" circuit, feed with 9V battery.
—Should I use a guitar IN or an Aux-in?

If so... do you think that the AD-10 was designed for steel strings guitars?

I mean... I know something about piezo guitars needing some kind of "resonance" to restore what the piezo are losing, but again, I'm not sure if my specific guitar needs this.

In the same way, I don't have a clue about what Boss are using with the AD-10. Some kind of internal IRs based on the same AIRD tech present in the new GT-1000, perhaps?

If your guitar sounds good using an FRFR speaker, use the guitar in. If your guitar doesn't sound good using an FRFR speaker, get a different guitar for active pickups.. Practically speaking, any current speaker system with an Aux In is FRFR through that input.

In my opinion and experience, practically ALL of the "acoustic processors" were made for steel string, or to try to make an electric guitar sound like steel string. None of those solutions did anything for me that couldn't be done with a bit of eq/effects .. at least at relatively low levels (e.g. coffee shop, small venue).

I haven't tried the AIRD of the Boss GT-1000, but if it includes the OD-1x, that definitely is a step up from the GT-100 (which is no slouch)...
All of these guys are getting really, really good.... but with the Helix/LT I don't feel a pressing need to audition the GT-1000. OTH, the Boss GT series has some great things that the Helix/LT doesn't - eg EZ-Tone, the ability to set a system preamp, etc. But since amp simulation is not that important to me except for experimentation, I don't need those. But they are great learning tools, since you can set one preamp to go through all the presets...)

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-28-2018 at 12:02 PM.