Thread: Line 6 Helix
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Saxman View Post
Thank you, fellas!

I'm pretty sure that Helix's compressor, mic preamp, PEq, modulation, delay and reverb both of you mentioned are stellar, but still there are some things, like the body resonance or the antifeedback with notch settings on the Boss AD-10 that still keeping me wanting this device somehow, not to mention the ease of use and portability.

I have heard some demos that the "Thomann" store have on their website, and I even thought that the AD-10 seems to be that kind of easy peasy incredible acoustic instruments enhacer with which many of us are still dreaming.

The Helix seems a very powerful device but I think it's a shame that still there are not a small set of effects and preamps designed specifically for acoustic guitars. Something similar to the acoustic expansion pack that can be found in applications such as Bias FX IOS.
This is the only expansion I bought inside this app, by the way. But it worth the price, if you ask me, as they give you the esential tools that you need for that specific task, just as the AD-10 does (or seems to do).

The fact that the LT doesn't have mic input doesn't make good omens about Line 6 planning to develop specific effects for mic/voice, either.
Somewhere I read that to match other multi-effects specifically designed for mic/voice (like the Tc-Helicon Voicelive series), they should work with "formants".
I do not know a thing about that, but I think Line 6 will hardly do this if the Helix Floor is their only "HX" device with microphone input, right now.
The new "Helix Effects" does not have a microphone input either.

Unfortunately, I can't afford both the Helix Floor and the AD-10 right now, so I thought the LT may work, but the fact that it lacks both Aux-in AND mic Input is a major drawback for me.
Well... I already have put my HD500 on sale, but still have some other devices I could sell.

Still thinking about it.
So I have 2 choices right now: Helix Floor or AD-10+Helix LT+BOSS VE-20.

Thank you again, dudes! I am delighted to know about this forum, with people like you.
From my experience, acoustic processors like the AD-10 can be replicated via EQ controls pretty much - I find them practically useless (since I already have tone controls on my Fishman Preamp (and don't even use those), and the "resonance" effects on nylon strings (for me) are almost indiscernible.

Don't get rid of your HD500 if you're not going to get a Helix... just try using the effects (for example "Tube Driver" overdrive is a good starting place, without anything else in the chain. The HD500, while dated, is no slouch.

I think that once you have a Helix, you are pretty much done with hardware for the foreseeable future. Line 6 is a fantastic guitar company (check The Gear Page) and the Helix will be around for a long, long time with updates coming regularly. With Boss not so much, but I would upgrade to HD500x if you're going to sell your HD500. IMO

For just guitar effects, the Boss GT-1 is awesome (i.e., stunning) at its price point..... for a single pedal, I found the OD-1x to also be excellent for my application. But even Amplifi/Pod Farm effects are excellent if you know how to use them... and finally there is always the Behringer TO800 for $20.