View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 02:55 AM

Gtrwanka, I would be hesitant to buy a compensated saddle via the Net or mail order, for the simple reason that the intonation on an instrument can vary a lot based on local humidity levels, the quirks of that particular instrument, and what gauge and brand of strings you happen to favor.

A saddle that's been intonated for light gauge D'Addarrio strings at sea level might be completely out of whack if you're using medium gauge Newtones and live in Denver.

What I've found to be a much more precise way to approach things is to take a couple of sets of the strings I intend to use along with the guitar to my local repairman to have him make a saddle that's dialed in for my purposes.

I recommend taking two new sets in when having this sort of work done because fitting a saddle involves raising and lowering the tension of the strings quite a bit. This kills strings faster than anything else, the yo-yo-ing back and forth on the tension.

So tuck an extra set in the case pocket besides the first set, so when the work is done, he or she can put on a set that hasn't been killed by all the back and forth tightening and loosening.

The reason to get the saddle intonated for the specific brand of strings you favor is that the core wires on these various brands can vary quite a bit from one brand to another. That in turns affects intonation, so a setup for D'Addarrio strings might not be quite so accurate for a set of LaBellas.

Anyway, my repairman does quite a bit of business fitting these "ready-made" bridge saddles for players here in Anchorage. A lot of players buy them, then end up bringing them to his shop and getting him to do the final adjustments for them.

So I'm not sure you'd save any money doing it that way. To me it makes more sense just to have a local guy do the work, and dial it in more precisely than you can hope for with an "averaged-out" bridge saddle that's been sold to you without having a pro lay his hands on the instrument.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller