View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Building My Dad a Guitar

Well, my first "weekend warrior" guitar building class one week away!

The guitar I'm Building:
  • Body Style - 12-fret OM (still debating on standard or deep body)
  • Top - Port Orford Cedar (Purchased from Oregon Wildwood; they haven't worked with this wood before)
  • Back and Sides - East Indian Rosewood (from their stash)
  • Rosette - Monkeypod (from my dad's hometown)

I found out about the class when I was talking to the guy who works on my guitars, John Cotter. He told me about the class and talked about what guitar he was building. It got me thinking about how I always wanted to find out about how the guitar works, and what better way than to build one! Better yet... I can give it to my dad!

He gave up his dreams of being a musician to take care of his family. My mom told me that he used to be the Elvis of the Philippines (well, I think maybe more of the province and the surrounding area). I remember as a little kid listening to my dad and my uncles playing music when they would come to town.

Unfortunately, my dad's guitar met an unfortunate fate: my brother smashed it when he got mad at him (I think over my dad grounding him). Since then, he doesn't play the guitar much. I always wanted to play with him. When he came to visit a few years ago, he declined. My brother told me that he plays it... just not around me

Both my mom and my dad never bought anything new for themselves. So, why not build him something brand new and give him a guitar that he can play in his retirement. (now, if only I can come up with something for my mom's retirement...)

Here's a picture of the rosewood set I selected:

I just hope that in the coming months, my dad doesn't get "internet-savvy" and find this thread