View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
One thing I've heard from reliable sources is that humidity in a case tends to be very localized. A humidifier up by the head will humidify that immediate area but the rest of the guitar will not get the benefit. A humidifier placed in the sound hole will humidify the whole body cavity, of course, but not necessarily the fingerboard. Assuming that this is correct (and it makes sense to me), that might have been part of the problem. While the headstock had sufficient moisture, the neck and body may not have. But if the baseline humidity was 35%, that shouldn't have been dry enough to split a top. It's not optimal, as someone else said, but not disasterous either.

I wouldn't mention the builder at this stage. He or she may be inclined to be helpful (hopefully) and dissing them isn't likely to strengthen any impulse of that sort. Plus, it seems premature to assume unequivocally that this is the result of a structural or materials problem (although that may be the case).
Hmm, makes sense about the localized humidity in the case. That's something that I'll change.

I have complete faith in the luthier - does fine work - I've contacted them and I'm sure the problems will be taken care of. I was just canvassing for opinions on what could cause something like this to happen. I'm at a loss since my other guitars seem fine. Is this guitar just extra sensitive? Is it something to do with the wood used? It does seem like a dry guitar problem, but I just don't understand why. A lot of great information here from all the AGFers! Thanks again everyone.