View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If I am understanding , you want to fit an entire chord progression into one or two bars and then play over it. ?

Why ? maybe I am still not understanding but that would require either rapid fire chord changes and 2 or three chords max, wouldn't it ?

If your trying to learn how to loop, make it easier on yourself and just do a slow three chord progression which will likely require at least a 3 or 4 bar loop

OR
Lets back up a bit... can you post a youtube video example of what you would like to emulate ?

Other than that For starters I would suggest three chords and 4 bar loop.
Play the riff phrase overdubs in the pentatonic scale that starts on the note that the key of the chord progression is . The ending note of the riff phrase is the most important. So for example in 1,4,5 progression in the key of (E ) make the last note of your first overdub phrase end with an E note over the E chord . Then end the phrase over the A chord on an A note etc. That can sometimes vary (depending on other factors but rarely ) so start there . Make sense ? For now you might want to also start the phrase on the same note as the chord you playing over (That can change also) but for starters it will help hear the riff notes in relation to the chord
Thanks Kev,

Yes this makes sense. Kind of what I sorted in my response to Vancbo. Yes, I'm trying to keep it simple for the bass line and simple rhythm riff mainly so that I'm not restricted to a strict chord progression, but can wander back and forth between chords. Not sure if that will work, but that's the goal.

Ken