View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 06:46 AM

Default Fishman matrix hum help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I didn't in any of the installs I've done. But I have a new RainSong PA-1100NSG and a Mi-Si Trio sitting here un-mated because it takes me a few days to get over that fear. I am as prone to hearing with my eyes as the next guy. A K&K install is not appropriate for CF IMO because removal with a razor blade is not practical (the CF is not smooth like a maple bridge plate).

I play the occasional music festival, county fair, etc. where there are floor monitors at high volumes (needed or not every act gets the same sound man), and SBTs just don't work without a sound hole cover which I don't like to use (I'd swear it degrades the plugged-in tone too, but again maybe I'm hearing with my eyes). I also had problems in the occasional room where I think one of the guitar's resonant peaks overlapped with something about the room's own resonances and endless EQ fiddling is not something I enjoy.

I am probably going to break down and buy a ToneDexter one of these days. I'm hoping I have the discipline to hold out for its next generation which I would hope adds reverb, compression, and a sub bass filter (or a way to add these to the Images as the digital signal processor on which it is based ought to be able to reproduce those things too -- well maybe a short reverb).

John, I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find people with similar experiences given we all perform with acoustic guitars. What you're describing is very familiar. I've had some bad experiences with SBTs at festivals with volunteer mixing desk operators. One can't realistically expect volunteers to have that sorted out.

Nor can I deny that the Fishman Aura/Matrix UST system that I am presently using is the best system I've found to date in terms of juggling amplified tone, features and feedback resistance.

Nonetheless, I continue to struggle with "hearing with my eyes" (wonderful expression) when it comes to adding USTs. If, I were able to get over that hump, I'd have a Fishman Matrix in every guitar and a Aura (or Tonedexter) pedal in hand. It just works. However, for me, I am either hearing a drop in bass resonance, or simply imagining it. The doubt then causes to me to do all manner of saddle adjustments and fitting, replacements and experiments. Hence, I damaged the shielding on the very system that works the best.

My plan is to replace the self-spoiled Matrix UST (assuming the shielding paint is insufficient), and leave my Aura system in the rotation for any/all situations where feedback and volume are a concern. Or, realistically, anytime I know I'm there to play amplified.

I plan to go with SBTs for the other three very resonant guitars in the rotation. Usually, for folk/roots music, I was able to get away with K&Ks. My 12 string already has a passive K&K installation and it's waiting for the custom MiSi preamp. I'm not so eager to glue K&Ks into these last two guitars that I've searched so long to find. So, I'm hopeful that the PUTW will be more, or less, the same in terms of feedback resistance.