View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't have a Stanley (Bailey pattern) plane anywhere near me these days ...and that's after a lifetime of using them , and being pissed off with their design. The Bedrocks are of course much better but go for silly money second-hand.

I have compromised by buying Quangsheng planes, which are slightly less than half the price of Lie-Nielsens but a total match in quality IMO, and way better than the Stanleys.
I have been looking at planes all day.
At least I've narrowed the search to my first one being a 4 1/2 smoothing plane.

The Veritas plane is expensive, however everyone that HAS them seems to really enjoy the tool.
I've also looked at everything from Stanley to the above mentioned Quangsheng planes. And my feeling is that... for another $80 or so I could have a plane that I KNOW is something I won't need to upgrade in the future. Maybe I'm afraid of what I've learned from 15 years of keeping live corals (my other hobby) that eventually I end up buying near top of the line and thus should have done it in the first place.
That being said I realize that some things just won't matter to me until I reach a certain level of competency... or will they?
Guys / gals, thank you for your input.. it is all very much appreciated.
I know I need a plane.. now all i need to do is put a time limit on how long I have to debate brand or I will reach the "paralysis by analysis" state.