View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
First, I'd forget 99.9% of what you read on the internet. Words just don't really capture the experience or sounds, and everyone has opinions that may or not help you.

I think you just simply have to get some experience with some mics before you even can ask a reasonable question. Get some mic that you see frequently recommended and that's fairly "normal". Your AT4033 would be a good example. Try it and see how it goes, learn about mic placement, your room, your guitar, etc. Then, if you're not happy, you can ask very specific questions that may get you better answers - like "what mic will have less sibilance", or "what mic will have more/less proximity effect" and so on. There are places you can go to try out mics, tho none may be near you. Some places will let you try and return, some may even send you multiple mics for a "shootout", knowing you'll return at least one of them.
The good news is that people make good recordings with all kinds of mics. There are very few truly bad choices in the $500 per mic range. So get started with something and learn from that.
Thank you Doug, I highly value your opinion. And your opinion is very close to my profession recording engineer friend...whom I have had many talks with...Go out and listen!!
But unfortunately Doug...this is not completely possible for me. Due to some very, very restrictive circumstances..I have little time to do that...I am giving some extreme care nursing to my mother. My time outside the house ...at this moment is beyond...limited.
And as well..I am not a complete novice( I am in just perpetual learning motion)...I was a bit into recording in the past.
While the argument can be made...as you did..that great recording can be made with the cheapest of mics..(my professional engineer friend says he has two thousand dollar mics for guitars..but he can use Sm57's and get a great sound) This is my opinion...does not work for me...It is not that I could not get a great recording with my already Sm81's that I own...I believe that I can..But I want more that a great recording...I want a great recording that captures the openeness...the dynamics of my style. And as I mentioned..that is one of my problems..I play with a much great dynamic style than most..NOT BETTER..no way...I am no great player..but..I GET GREAT TONES...beautiful tones..My accomplishment..is my tone..not my ability. Sometimes a simple beautiful tone and a simple melody can capture the heart as much as masters of the past, with their complicated and defined=historic compositions. Sometimes..it is just about the beauty of tone.
I should further say Doug..that I stopped playing guitar for many, many years...cause I could never get the sound I really wanted...Now, through experimentation I can get the sound I always dreamed in my head.
So I say..guide me gentlemen...give me Ideas, directions in order to maximize my future listen tests...so I can make best use of the time when I do get to test mics.