View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
I personally think all of those vintage reissues (and especially Fender's and Martin's) are very good marketing that probably generates a much higher margin than their standard series. I don't own a Martin Authentic simply because I can't afford it. Why are they so expensive? Because people are ready to buy them at that price, that's it.

It's your prerogative to think that the deal is a bad one because the pickguard is potentially different -- but keep in mind hypocrisy is a different concept altogether.
Hi Joe:
I suspect that there is also a lot more "human hand" labor involved in building the GE and Authentic series guitars, which drives up the price. For instance, on the Authentic series, the necks are all hand carved, whereas the lower model Martins have necks that are much more to mostly machine made. Perhaps they still manually bend the sides on the authentics as well. To be sure, the authentics are a much much more hand made Martin, like their original counterparts. I imagine that this is where a lot of the cost increase comes from.
If you are fortunate enough to own a Martin Authentic series guitar, you own a very very fine and very hand made instrument. It would be awesome to be able to afford owning one...at least it would be for me!

Very Best Regards
duff