View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Frankly, I'm a bit confused by this thread.

Is the claim that women don't get a fair shake at being musicians? That they are subject to inequitable conditions, as compared to men, in achieving success?

If those are indeed the claims, I disagree:

In my opinion, there are many successful female musicians that do not fit the culturally "accepted" norm of beauty and "ladyness".

Further, there are female musicians that I believe have only become successful because they do conform to the socially accepted notion of beauty.

Perhaps I'm missing the point?
Someone posted a Molly Tuttle video. One response included, in addition to praise for her skills, the phrase "she should smile more". This is something many women do not like to hear because it seems to make an assumption that they are there as an ornament, an object to visually and emotionally please others. It is an extremely common remark that men simply never hear. Generally. Women hear it all the time.

Someone posted a video of Bryan Sutton frowning (or whatever you call intense concentration/not-smiling face) and playing, and wondered if anyone had ever suggested that he smile more. Obviously not.

Molly doesn't need to smile. She can simply be taken for the fantastic guitarist she is.

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/hans...34a5d6223.html