View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Matt...
I own a Baby Taylor, and it's really good for high stringing, and that's about it.

I loaned it out to a family because their child was wanting to play. It finally came home the other day again after several months. It is good with very small beginners. It really is not a very musical device compared to other choices.

I've sure seen a lot of YouTube of motivated youngsters in the 8-12 yr old bracket playing full sized OM body guitars with no issues.

As a teacher, I know the dilema parents face with beginners - the "…will he/she stick with it?…" issue. So picking a guitar either you can use later should he decide it's not going to be for him right now is important.

As a teacher I didn't find much issue with kids adapting to full sized instruments over mini instruments. They handled OMs or 000 guitars just fine, though they often needed to wear a strap to play.

If you are wanting a higher scale guitar then a 114 or 314 Taylor would be perfect! Great low action and a guitar to last for awhile until he wanted to trade up.