View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM

hey gravity!

I'm going to recommend a few things to try,

the first: Keep the Distortion signal separate from the Acoustic signal. Send them separately to the Board, this will help keep your levels even and give you more control over the blend of the 2 sounds. Look into an ABY box to split your signal before the distortion stage and use that to switch between or turn them both on.

the second: Try it with your existing pickup before investing in a different type. I am going to guess that using a magnetic sound hole pickup will work better with distortion, and also give you a usable acoustic sound (after all they are acoustic pickups!) So try out a sound hole mag for both sounds using an ABY to get your different signals. If that works for you, later down the line you can look at adding a different kind of pickup to enhance the acoustic sound.

3rd, I suggested a Tech 21 Sansamp Character Series Pedal. This is because they're designed for going direct as they emulate speakers on the output. This is what I'm planning to start with. They all do a range of sounds, so just pick one and see how it works for you.

4th, Don't bother with a feedback buster. It doesn't kill all feedback, because the guitar will always resonate. I don't think they really work well and you won't be able to use it with a sound hole magnetic pickup either (and I don't think you would need it).

5th, look into some kind of DI for the acoustic signal that has a Feedback Notch, EQ and Phase Control, this will help with the over all sound and feedback management. I have a BBE Acoustimax and have zero issues with feedback using my Taylor's Magnetic Pickup.