View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 AM

Thumbs up Installed a JJB Prestige 330 in my Martin dread

I am an analog guy in a digital world. And this is my endorsement of the Prestige 330 passive pickup.

Despite my oppositions to electronics, open mics and occasional large gatherings made me realize that a pickup in my guitar was just a tool like any other. And it needn't intrude on my acoustic tone or aesthetics.

After lots of reading here and at the UMGF, I decided that the K&K Mini was just what the doctor ordered. I also decided that the doctor was in cahoots with big pharma or something, because the Prestige 330 by JJB Electronics was the same product -- like a generic drug.

So for $50 I acquired the Prestige 330, and for $40 a local shop installed it in my Martin MMV (the Guitar Center custom: D-28 woods and finishes with 15-series bracing and a bolt-on neck). So, $90 down.

Last night, in the few minutes I had to play with it, I was thrilled. Running straight from that passive pickup to a Marshall amp I borrowed from a friend, the sound was natural, warm, and full. I had to re-learn the idea of analyzing guitar sounds, and not getting blown away by pure volume. But at the end of the day I still have a classic looking dread, I didn't spend a lot, and I feel very good about the sound I am likely to get at an open mic next Monday.

I know I may want to drop another $75 to $100 on a preamp like one would get for the K&K Mini, but I won't do that until I need to.

Three cheers for JJB Electronics doing whatever voodoo they do to make an excellent pickup for kind of silly-inexpensive.

Gretsch open back banjo (1972)
Walnut Creek mountain dulcimer (2004)