View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Just saw this and THANKS for the kind words.
You are looking at yes, a "T6", and I bet it is an LR Baggs Element Active with the volume wheel in the soundhole. I have found that you CAN use electric strings and get good tone from both the LR Baggs and the Factory T5 electronics. I have a black T5 standard with the same set-up. I used to use the LR Baggs pickup some times but rarely do now, preferring the great T5 tone TAYLORPLAYER is talking about. The drop in output is because you are not using a balanced cable. If you use a balanced cable (XLR or balanced 1/4 cable) you will see noticeable output improvement, although it is not really necessary, depending on what amplification you use. You can also use a balanced to unbalanced transformer (XLR to 1/4") with a balanced cable if you need to go into an unbalanced input. You can have a lot of fun experimenting with different strings, (I still use Elixir 12-52 electrics and would suggest NOT going below that gauge unless you use a wound "G" string). The wound "G" makes a difference and since the guitar is a thin hollow-body, light strings with anything less than a 12-52 set, make the guitar thin and lifeless (IMHO of course). You can try acoustic strings and they will sound fine but I have found that the electric sets give you much more tonal versatility with the T5 electronics. Try out an A/B amp setup with an acoustic amp or PA AND an electric amp. It is the best of both worlds to play both setups together or to switch between.
One other suggestion is to take an electric amp and try a full range, PA cab as an extension speaker. Very cool tone for a T5. I have done this with my little MesaBoogie Subway Rocket and a 10" PA cab on a speaker stand, also works well with my Roland Cube60 amp and a 10" PA cab as an extension cab. I also ahve played through Bass amps, and like the Peavey Delta Blues guitar amp with the 15" speaker. Great tone for a T5. Remember the T5 is NOT a guitar for acoustic purists or someone looking for a strat/les paul substitute. It is a T5, and a whole different animal. That is why these alternative outside the box setups work well. You can also just plug the darn thing into a good tube and get a great clean and balanced tone.
Hope you have as much fun with it as we do here on the Forum.
Welcome and good luck,
davidc