View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I don't know any online resources but when I used to teach this stuff I would get students to write a count beneath the staff in pencil. So in a score with 4/4 simple time where the smallest note is an eighth note under each bar you would have

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

and you would practice counting and playing one bar at a time until you could play that bar correctly in time (not at the correct speed at first but correctly in time with itself) so you could hear and remember that bar. Then you would do the same with the next bar and so on.

This is a painfully slow experience at first but if you persevere you will get better at it and able to do it quicker.

It helps if the music you choose is not too complex. If the music you choose is going to be a challenge for you to play once you have learned it then it will also be a bigger challenge for you to read it. Start with something which will be easy to play once you have learned to read it.

This is what I did when i first learned. Now and then, if a passage is troubling me I still go back and do this for those bars.