View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
Corrosion on metals is the effect of moisture in combination with oxygen. No oxygen no corrosion as far as I know. Acid has the highest corrosive effect whereas sweat normally has a higher PH (acid) then water and therefore accellerates corrosion. Anti corrosive and coated strings are ofcourse less susceptible. Washing your hands before playing is a must if you want to prolong stringlife.

Ludwig
Hello friend!

OK, so my strings will be ok as long as my basement is a vacuum chamber?

I always appreciate when folks take the time to reply to my questions, but I fail to see how your reply has much of anything to do with what I asked. I proactively mentioned that I always wash my hands.

On coated strings: I put coated D'Addarios on my wife's Washburn acoustic, at thrice the price, and they didn't last any longer than regular strings, even with all the hand washing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
If you are maintaining a 40-50% relative humidity, your strings will stay fresh for a long time while not being played.

...as long as your not pumping Chlorine, Bromine, Fluorine (or any of the other group 17 halogens) into your guitar room...

That's more like it! I think my house is halogen-free? LOL

I just didn't know if the strings would go bad from simply sitting in those conditions. I like having them ready to play, so I can just grab them, and not have to take a trip to the work bench to engage in string winder fu.

The Taylor I got had new strings from when it was sitting around in the store (I could tell from the ebay pics they were new), and they still sounded great even though the guitar had been up for sale for a while (and lasted about a month after I got it)......but I have a feeling it came from a much drier environment.

Part of the reason I asked is because I know the electrics need changing (except for my Rick 360, which got new strings last week), but I didn't know if it was because I played them until they were dead and just didn't realize, or if they "became" dead during the time they were sitting unplayed.

Edit: Just read that according to John Hall of Rickenbacker, maple instruments should be kept at 35% relative humidity! *smacks forehead* I think I'm just going to forget I read that....

Last edited by Billkwando; 02-09-2018 at 04:23 PM.