View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Does proper humidity have a detrimental effect on string life?

Just curious. Since I got my Taylor Academy 10 (yuk it up, lol) I've learned about humidification. Since my mandolin hangs on the wall for convenience, and my rack of electrics never make it back to their cases, I said "screw it" and dug out our console humidifier from the closet, and have been doing my best to keep my basement at the Taylor-recommended 47% humidity.

In reality, it's been anywhere from 41% to 51% (my hygrometer has a high and a low, with a 36 hour span) but usually around 43ish, most days. My humidifier is adjustable, with an auto-shutoff, but I can only regulate (it to the percentage-ish) when I'm home, looking at the hygrometer.

What I'm wondering, since I tend to rotate playing my electrics rather than grab one, grab another, grab another (though they all stay out, in the rack) I'm wondering if it would be a mistake to, say, restring all my electrics at once, since I know some of them aren't going to get played much for a month or more.

I've always believed that people juice is what kills strings, which is why I always wash my hands before I play......but I was wondering if maybe air juice kills them too? (LOL )

Within the humidity parameters outlines above, of course.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Billkwando; 02-09-2018 at 04:15 PM.