View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM

A good buy are the DVDs by Stefan Grossmans Guitar Workshop. A good start are the DVDs from, with or about Chet Atkins.

The DVDs hosted by the late Buster B Jones are also good: "Fingerstyle from the Ground up" 1 and 2, if you are a "newby" and "Bag of Tricks pocketful of Licks" and "Hot Licks, Rhythms and Grooves" if you are an intermediate to advanced player. He has also a bunch of repertoire DVDs out (got them all, worth every cent).

If you understand french, try "Les Techniques traditionelles du Fingerpicking" and "Les Techniques modernes du Fingerpicking" with Marcel Dadi.

If you're into Country Blues try DVDs hosted by Stefan Grossmans. Highly entertaining and a lot of knowledge.

If your advanced and into Ragtime try Ernie Hawkins series on Rev. Gary Davis.

Regarding Mississippi John Hurt: his playing might sound easy, but it is pretty tricky. I'm not to bad, but I have a hard time trying to play the songs taught on the DVDs by John Miller on MJH.

I work with all these DVDs myself and they improved my playing a lot.

What I can't recommend are the Tommy Emmanuel DVDs. You need to buy the sheetmusic extra. The DVD "Up Close" is more on philosophy than actualy on teaching and "Labour" gives you insight and an in depth study into performing some of his songs. It's more a personality thing than instructional DVDs.