View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
So how do you "guitarize" it? Yes, given enough time to mess around I guess you can eventually figure it out by guessing and experimenting. But I'm talking about being able to play it on the spot, the same way a child is able to sing a simple melody on the spot after hearing it a few times.

I just started ear training on Justin Guitar website and he talks about interval training... Being able to hear and quantify the distance between one note to the next. So I am thinking if you were really good at this, then this is how you can figure out things on the spot.

I'm thinking this is what I need to strive for, and wanted to know if others went through this kind of training.
I found Musical-U really helpful for a couple of months of interval training, but I had no musical training at all before, so I found their explanations very clear. Yes, number 1. I still can't do it all that quickly but, yes, I'm listening for intervals, major 3rd, minor 3rd to a 5th, etc, and I know how to make those intervals on guitar anywhere that I want to play, so it doesn't matter which key I start in. I'm not really naming the interval, just matching them to those shapes on the guitar as I go through the tune. Knowing that most melodies are built around a chord provides a short cut as soon as you know what chord it is, but if there were no chord, it would just be intervals. I'm not trying to match the pitch (I think that's what JonPR is describing); I'm just matching the intervals in whatever key I want to play. Since you sing, I'd highly recommend thinking of the layout of the fretboard and chords in solfege syllables. I've found that tremendously helpful and efficient.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 09-13-2017 at 05:44 AM.