View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I am trying to get back into playing, but the style I am evolving involves lots of full step string bending. I am playing nines on an electric. I end up bending a string way past it’s neighbor. My nail(s) hang on the neighboring string. I have trimmed my nails pretty darn short, but they still hang on the neighboring string.

I am sure that you experienced guys have learned to deal with such things. The key to solving my problem may have nothing 5o do wi5h my nails, so I appreciate any suggestions you might offer.

Thanks in advance!
I doubt that the length of your nails is actually the problem. A couple of things to try:

1. Look at your bending technique. Are you bending with one lone finger or with 1-2 additional fingers supporting the bending finger and helping you mute and move the adjacent strings as you bend? There is a REAL good chance that correct bending technique will fix this (it sure did for me).

2. Try higher action with those .009s, or maybe try .010s. Some folks think skinny strings/low action facilitates bends but that's definitely not always the case, as you tend to bend up under the string(s) above the string being bent, which can also lead to getting the string hung on your nail.

3. Of course, just plain old practice solves most problems.