View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 AM

Thanks guys for the contribution.
I didn't make it clear why I make so much effort to improve a direct recording. I absolutely agree that any microphone does better job than a UST/SBT pickup.
I recorded guitars using a cheap(est) condenser Behringer mic and no pickup comes close to it.
But If you (like me) record our own live performances it's useful to enhance a direct signal somehow after the gig. Especially if you intend to share it online or among friends.

The other scenario it could be useful is songwriting. I don't want to waste time to setup the microphone up, my room is untreated acoustically (exaggerates some frequencies) and last not least, kids make noise.
In this situation a good direct sound is all I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Oh, I forgot I did this. Here's a set of examples of pickup recordings with different processing to try to make them sound better. You'll want to follow the link to see all 15 variations, I don't want to post 15 soundcloud players here. None sound as good as a mic, and spot checking I'm not hearing anything to write home about, but maybe you'll get some ideas from it. These are all using the K&K pickup. This was long before ToneDexter, so that isn't one of the examples.
Thank you Doug for this link, very interesting comparison. There was a UAD plugin, which you demo'ed called Woodworks of which I had very high hopes, but I think it falls short.