View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Ok, I the original shim that I had made and glued to the bottom of the fret board, as mentioned earlier, was all the same thickness. With that shim when I bolted up the neck and put string tension on it the front end of the fret board pointed or bowed up. So I removed most to the shim. (A pain in the behind to do and get it even.) When I did that it made the action too high.

I now have the neck bolted up where I want it, with the correct string height.(I have compared it to the two other acoustics we have in the house and its now the same.) So I now need to make a small tapered shim (thicker at the back than the front) to put back in place of the original one that was the same thickness for the full length of it. That will fill the small gap that's between the sound board and the bottom the fret board where the neck joins the body.

As I said before, I should have never of glued that first shim in place until I had bolted up the neck and put string tension on it.

When I did that first shim I had simply bolted up the neck, with it straight and flat, laid a straight edge down the fret board and it was level with the top of the bridge. So that's where I set the shim thickness at. Once string tension was applied to the neck everything changed. How do most of you all determine "neck angle/shim thickness" with out actually putting string tension on the neck?