View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the great info !! I will just have to drool over your amp list
The Fishman mini will have to do for now, but will start saving up and looking for a tube amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
I just got my first archtop the other day as well... A 1995ish Yamaha AEX 1500. 25.4 inch scale iirc.

It came with th e D'Adarrio Chrome 12-52 flats as the store recommended . A bit dull sounding acoustically for my flattop ear... But they sound great amped up and am liking the smooth feel of them.

I started playing through my Fishman Mini as you did... I thought it sounded pretty good as well.

Well. i was wrong.

Because then tried it with my 1972 Fender Bandmaster reverb with its vintage JBL speaker cab. That was better.

Then I dug through my storage room for my late 70s Musicman RP65 112. That be the amp of all time for this guitar! Beautiful woody tone with a bit of bluesy smear and glow... Great dynamics. Warm and smooth. Yummy
.. I knew I kept this amp for a reason!

I have yet to give my Peavey Heritage VTX a whirl. It was Peaveys take on the MusicMan concept and has always been near or at the top of my guitar amp collection for gorgeous clean tones. I paid 100 bucks for it... The MMs run about 500... The old Fender combos 1000. I have prefered the Peavey in most cases except for the weight.

Cant go back to the Fishman... Except for possibly when I use tbe piezo equipped bridge that comes with this model.