Thread: 3 string capos
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]
I suspect the differences you and I expressed have to do with neck profiles.
true... and especially with cut capos, those angles become important

Quote:
Never saw that k-lever version before.

Am I off-base or do the k-lever versions come pre-cut? I cannot find a k-lever version which is not pre-cut.
The K-levers are all pre-cut, available in 4 configurations - Esus4, Drop D, Double Drop D, and A. I don't think it was a successful product. They seem to have pretty much disappeared from the marketplace. I like them for playing the string that goes underneath and find it easier than reaching behind the capo for that fret, but they do require a slight change in hand position to do that. I don't know how long the lever and piston will last so I'd like to pick up a few spares. I don't know anybody who is still selling them online.

Quote:
I like the look of the G7th - how do they work out?
I'm not crazy about them. I picked them up at NAMM last year. The Esus4 pivots back when you play (maybe that neck profile issue again) and the gap for the #6 string doesn't have very much clearance so it is prone to buzzes. The nice parts are that they are soooo low profile that it is very easy to play behind the capo and they are very light weight.

Quote:
I have specific Planet Waves tailored to specific guitars. I average the width based on the span at fret 2 and fret 5 and split the difference.
which is pretty much what the OP should do to make it work well on the classical

Quote:
I have not used cut capos above the 5th fret. May have to give it a whirl...
I have a couple of songs that do that and have been working on a new tune at the 9th fret with most of the fretting done behind the capo.

Quote:
Have you cut any with gaps? I've not yet.
no... too much work to figure out the fingerings

I do use multiple capos in a number of tunes. This tune uses two Esus4's - one at the second fret upside down and the second at the fourth fret in the "normal" direction which gives me these open notes from low to high E C# F# B C# E. FWIW, I always use the Shubb for upside down as the Kyser handle gets in the way of playing behind it... or I use the double drop d Kyser at the second fret oriented normally which gives me the same "open" notes.

that's me on guitar