View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 PM

I like the idea of the carved mahogany back, 15" lower bout, and shallow body depth. Not sure how modern (as in cutting edge) this is (as others have already pointed out) but perhaps modern for Gibson.

I do think the cutaway while not earth-shattering has a very contemporary shape. Perhaps same comment on the updated f-holes. I wonder if there was an opportunity to update the pick guard with a more modern shape and perhaps the same material used in the fretboard (Richlite?).

I wish more makers "updating" or "modernizing" their guitars would use an endpin jack instead of a jack plate cover mounted in the side of the lower bout of the guitar. The former seems like such an elegant solution to the latter, which in contrast seems so archaic and impractical. I also wish someone would try 1 volume + 1 tone + a "blend" pot and 3 way switch instead of 2 volume + 2 tone pots and 3 way switch. I think these mods would certainly modernize archtops in a very positive way.

I would have favored a shorter scale neck with a 1-3/4" nut width, but arguably perhaps a 25.5" scale is more modern than 24.75". Lastly, it seems like finish, tailpiece, potentiometer knobs, pick-up switches and tuners would have been a very visible way of modernizing the guitar.

Would love to hear and play this guitar. I think the carved spruce top and carved mahogany back combined with shallow body could be a winning combination. Hat's off to Gibson for taking a whack at a new guitar.