Thread: Bridge Crack
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daybreakdays View Post
Posting a picture for experienced forum members also helps and may save luthier fees.
Perhaps where you live guitar repair techs charge for merely looking at possible problems to determine whether the guitar needs any work, but I've never encountered that in the many years and several cities where I've played music. I've never once been charged for a quick look to assess whether the guitar needs work.

Truthfully, I think relying on the perceived wisdom of "experienced forum members" to correctly diagnose a potential problem solely from photographs posted online to be an unnecessarily risky approach.

Yes, it's likely that this is nothing more than a crack in the finish, I'm not disputing that. But I also believe it would be foolish for the original poster to be so reassured by the "don't worry about it" comments in this thread that the guitar doesn't get looked at by a pro.

More than once I've taken an instrument in to get looked at for one thing, only to have the repairman find something else that actually did need immediate attention. In my view and my experience, this has been extremely helpful, as several potentially serious problems I've had with my instruments have been caught before they could get bad and become more difficult (and thus more expensive) to fix.

In my view there is no downside whatsoever to having a pro look at this guitar. But complacently accepting the general view that there's no real problem is risky for the original poster (as well as for the guitar.)

None of us posting in this thread has any accountability or responsibility if the guitar turns out to have more significant problems than can be detected from a photograph. An experienced repair tech needs to determine whether any braces are loose or if there are other problems we can't see from our omniscient view behind our computer monitors.

Short version: get a real life, genuine, experienced guitar repair tech to look at the guitar. Cracks in the bridge area should ALWAYS be looked at by a pro, even if they appear harmless to most of us viewing the situation from a safe, I-don't-have-to-pay-for-any-of-this distance.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller