View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Cutaway Flattop for Jazz Chord Melody: Seeking Suggestions & Some Questions

Hi,

I have been considering buying a new acoustic. I have been playing a Martin M-38 for the last 20 years. It is a great instrument, but I struggle with passages in pieces above the 12th fret. I also have an acoustic archtop; a Heritage Sweet 16 which is obviously easier to play these pieces on. I play mostly chord melody arrangements of jazz standards. These arrangements have passages that can be lush, and single line work that can be dynamic. I play solo with both a flat pick and with my fingers.

I was originally thinking about a Selmer style instrument, but I really don't play that manouche style and it seems far less versatile instrument. I also realized that something like a Dupont costs as much as a fine flat top. Why not find a flat top that allows me upper fret access and would be good for this style of play. I am now thinking about a Venetian cutaway OM sized instrument. I like a smaller body for comfort. I want an instrument ~<$5,000 price range.

Some questions for the forum:

1)Would a rosewood or mahogany body be better suited for this instrument?

2)What type of spruce top (Sitka, Adirondack or Engelmann) should I consider and why?

3)In terms of makers I was thinking of a number of smaller established manufacturers like Bourgeois, Collings, Goodall or Santa Cruz or alternatively have the Martin Custom Shop make me an instrument. Any suggestions between these or other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob