View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Does anyone know how the FG-331 relates to the SJ-180? My first "real" guitar was a Yamaha SJ-180 that I got for Christmas when I was in 6th grade. That would have been... 1980. It's a 000-size guitar, all laminate, made in Taiwan. It looks nearly exactly like the FG-331 pictured in this thread, except the truss rod is accessible through the soundhole (no TRC on the headstock) and there is no backstripe and no binding on the neck heel. The tuners have closed backs but are not sealed. I've had it with me for all these years, and it has a ton of wear. Fret wear, fingerboard divots, nut needs to be replaced, etc. Having said all that, it still plays pretty well - no problems with the neck, and the action is great. The sound is very bright, and louder than might be expected. It works pretty well for fingerpicking (if only the neck were wider...). It's my office guitar, and it's right here under my cubicle desk as I type this. Just wondering where it falls in the hierarchy of Yamahas. It was pretty cheap when it was new... maybe $125 or so. I got to pick it out, and I remember that my choices were the Yamaha and some Hohner dread. I insisted on the Yamaha!