View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
No harm/foul, perhaps, but not always. What if I wanted to buy your Eastman dread, we reached a deal, and I sent the money (as here)? What if I raised that money by selling 2 guitars at a less-than-optimal price than I would have accepted but for the fact that I needed to move quickly to get your Eastman? What if, while I was selling the guitars, I saw another Eastman for sale that was even nicer than yours, at a better price, but I passed it up because we had a deal, and now that Eastman's gone?

Then I get a call from you saying "I changed my mind, no harm no foul, good luck." Now, I've relied on your word that you'd deliver what I already paid for, that you'd honor our contract, and I acted on that reliance, to my detriment. As a result of your backing out, however, I'm now down $$ for the 2 guitars, and I missed that other sweet Eastman. I'd consider myself harmed, in that exchange.

Things aren't always as simple as they could be, when people are involved.
It wouldn't be the end of the world and I'm sure you would end up finding an equally as nice, or better instrument and end up happy as a clam. I don't know how many sales I've missed out on that initially disappointed me only to end up very likely happier in the end. So what if someone close to me had bought me my first guitar and it was still lying around with the 6 or 7 others I had acquired since then. So I put it up for sale and it sells but before I ship it that person dies. All of a sudden it has huge sentimental value. Things can change and where do you draw the line? In the OP's case something drastic changed. That's a little different then just changing your mind.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50