View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Emulation:

roll off the highs, crunch the mids and create tape hiss.

Yes, I know that there's more to it than that.

Kev, what was your discovery process that led to you first liking and then not liking the plugin?

When I read that, I thought about how frequently we can be wooed by something new only to find that, in the end, it's not so great.

Regards,

Ty
Humm good question. To clarify the plugin I was using was not a tape emulation it was the Slate VMC (Virtual Mix Console ) an emulation of the design circuitry etc. of several different classic analog mixing consoles. The theory being it would add more "analog presence and feel 3D effect etc. etc. " But unless I increased the input or drive parameter (which effectively increased the level sort of like make up gain on a compressor) I could not hear much difference and while at first it did sound like more presence I think it was actually simply more volume. Now I do think there was some subtle change or coloration going on, but I did not feel like it really increased the presence or 3 D aspect, any more than simply bumping the level a bit.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4