View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey the song is outstanding kudos
Thanks. I appreciate the compliment and the feedback on the tape emulation.

Quote:
I was only listening on laptop ear buds I'll give a listen in my studio later.
But first impression was it simply eliminated some of the top air
Is that smoother or is that just less info and slightly less air ????
Interesting. I just gave both versions another listen with that in mind. I think the top end in the no-tape version is a bit harsh. The tape seems to eliminate that harshness. I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts after you give it a go in the studio. If you think the top end is lacking, I could try to eq a bit more air into the mix and see if it's still less harsh.

Quote:
As a general note I have mixed feeling about Tape emulations and saturation plugins in general .
When Slates Virtual mix console came out I got it an for about 6 or 8 months thought is was the bees knees. But honestly I have stopped using it completely.
I demoed the Slate VTM plug this week. Compared to the UAD Studer, I thought it was a little lacking. It wasn't bad, but I thought the UAD Studer was better. I also tried the Waves C37 but honestly that plug is so subtle I couldn't hear a difference when I used it. Perhaps if I was doing songs with 30+ tracks and had it on all them, I'd notice it, but my songs tend to be a 20 tracks or less ...much less if there are no drums.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube