View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I can't wait to see how you brace the top and decide on bridge placement! Unless you have some sort of plan for a moveable bridge, I think I would optimize it for the longer scale since they will be playing it that way longer. What a great project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Why move the bridge, just swap necks. The string width at the bridge might be interesting.
Some good thoughts here. This is the sort of "luthier stuff" I had to think about in order to bring this concept to fruition.

The guitar will be built with its final form in mind. The bracing will be my standard parlor bracing, the bridge will be placed for a 14 fret, 25.28" scale, and the string width at the bridge will be set at 2 1/4".

The kids neck is built somewhat in reverse. Since the bridge placement is set, the neck connection/nut placement is found in reverse order. Typically the bridge, or more specifically the saddle, is placed based on the nut. In this case, the nut is placed based on the saddle. It's a bit complicated, but doable.

So in order for the kids nut placement to be correct, the neck connects at the 12.5ish fret.