View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Jumbo for Jazz Playing?

I play jazz exclusively on acoustic exclusively. I've been playing a Martin 00015M that plays beautifully and has a nice warm balanced sound. I'd eventually (within the next two years or so) like to upgrade to something more acoustically powerful, and have been looking a jumbo sized guitars. I don't care at all for the bass heavy sound of dreadnaughts (had a Martin D15M and sent it right back) or, to be honest, the look. Never considered jumbo guitars until just recently, after reading more about them. I've been looking at the Guild F-50R. Seems jumbos are more tonally balanced than a dread, which is the opposite of what I had previously expected (bigger body=more bass).

I don't think I want to go the archtop route again, nor am I interested in the gypsy jazz guitars (although they are easy and fun to play and I have stolen some of that technique!). I guess a flat top is where it's at for me, playability and sound wise, but I'd like some opinions since it may be a while before I go out and try some guitars again.