Thread: What are FRAPS?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

I used a FRAP (flat response audio pickup) in the 70's, as well... Had a Barcus Berry, but upgraded to the FRAP... amplifying an acoustic guitar was quite an "iffy" proposition, back in the day. I had an MXR 10 band graphic eq that I would run the FRAP through - and that didn't quite cut it, but it was serviceable. I remember at one point, the other guitarist and I put our FRAPs on the soundboard of our pianist's little studio spinet, in order to have it "cut" in a full band setting... HILAIOUS reselts! We could get the piano volume loud enough, but it always sounded like it was coming from somewhere, far away; this echo-y, swimmy tone that was full of overtones and harmonics - our keyboardist would "play" with the tones and do some pretty unusual things, sonically...

I dumped the FRAP years ago, traded the MXR to a bassist for a 3 space Anvil case... kinda wish I still had it, even thoug I'm quite happy with my Fishman rig in both my 6 and 12 string guitars...

Unless you had to amplify an acoustic guitar in the late 60's / early 70's, you HAVE NO IDEA how far we've come. Granted, what's available today is not perfect, but it's all head and shoulders above what it used to be!

I think Doyle Dykes had the best take on amplfying acoustic guitars that I've heard... he said "Does it sound like my guitar, unplugged? Nope... but it is a VERY WORKABLE sound for performing..." - I think that's about the best you're gonna do, get something that you can make work for you... and almost ANYTHING works better than stuffing a Shure 565 into the soundhole through a Shure Vocal Master...!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman