View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
No, the MMV is NOT a stripped down version of the D-28. It is a higher end version of the D-16R. It has the same bracing pattern and neck joint as the D-16R. The D-28 has a different bracing pattern and different neck joint.

I have played both. The D-28 has more bass but is not as bright. The MMV has more treble and is more even across the full tonal range but without the booming bass of the D-28. I preferred the tone of the MMV but that would depend on whether or not you want the bassy sound or a brighter sound.
The MMV is essentially a D-15 model; it has A-X bracing. The 16 series has hybrid-X bracing which features scalloped braces, and includes two tone bars. The A-X bracing includes one small tone bar, with no scalloping.

I thought I liked the MMV too when I compared one to the other Martin models, including the HD-28. After test driving one for a month, I realized that it was nowhere near the guitar I thought it was. Though the MMV has a lot of bass, it lacks any real complexity in the sound, which is fine if you want to sound like you're playing country blues on a Stella, but for modern guitar work, the A-X bracing does not cut it, and truly puts the D-15 models, along with most, if not all of the custom models made for Musician Friend in the amateur class of instruments.