View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg60 View Post
Yep the TAW I emailed you about has standard nut, hair smaller than 1 3/4, not going to work for you.

I have small hands and just love the Brook necks. On the other hand I struggle a bit with the 'standard' full scale + 1 3/4 setup.

Understood, and thank you for trying to help me out.

My hands are not large, but..... i need a 1 3/4 nut.
This is because when i first started playing, over 2 decades ago, i was so obsessed with learning how to play, that i actually borrowed a friend's sister's Conn Classical Guitar, and i put 12 -52s on it and learned my first 10 chords (down pat) quickly.
Once i was able to afford a real Steel String, i of course needed a slightly wider neck as my left hand was trained by that classical neck.
I can use a wider nut, but, the 1.75 is the sweet spot for my left hand.
And....PG60.... as Steve wisely related in a post above yours...for some of us the "NECK" is the main thing.

My philosophy about good guitar sound is the same a Richard Hoover's, of SCruz....He states and i have stated before also....."its all about the sustain and the overtones".
For me, the tone is secondary, and in fact mostly a non issue, as i can change the tone, i can alter the EQ that is crated by the woods that make up a guitar, by changing the composition of the saddle, or changing the tuners, the bridge pins, the nut, the string gauge, the composition of the strings, and even by dealing with the action so that i apply more tension or less to the top.
So, if a guitar is too bright, or too dull, or too woody, or too much of a "Canon", i can personally deal with this as i have trained myself over the years to be a more then competent guitar tech.
I make saddles, i make nuts, i can deal with all "action" issues as long as the neck is not needing a reset, and therefore i can deal to a point of satisfaction with all "tone issues" by adjusting "stuff" on my guitars.

But, no matter how good the guitar sounds....or how pretty the woods....if the neck does not let me feel free, if it does not become invisible within my chording and practicing and recording, and if the sustain is not excellent, then that guitar, no matter what i paid for it.....is not going to work for me.
Its all about the NECK, then the sustain...
I absolutely have to have those 2 satisfy me, regarding an acoustic or i'll sell what 99% of everyone else here on this forum would probably keep for a lifetime.
"The Neck and Sustain".. = That is all that matters to me.
Every thing else is secondary or farther down the chain.
I will buy a guitar (long distance) because it meets my criteria regarding purchase, but i wont keep it unless the NECK and the Sustain are what i have to have to be satisfied.
If i still had every guitar that i bought (long distance ) because it was pretty and mint, and all that, then sold because of the (feel of the neck or sustain issue), then i would currently own a very well stocked hi end guitar store
In the last year, i sold 3 Collings and 3 Bourgeois, and all had great sustain, but all have that slight V neck that just makes me crazy trying to feel at home on it.
I finally found an SJ Borg Custom SS, and this neck is different....Less V, and more D, tho slightly less neck depth then the Borg OMs, so, im good.
As far as Colling's goes.....I love them, but only the C-10 works for me, as that one does not have the mild V shaped neck.

Last edited by Luria; 04-21-2017 at 05:38 PM.