View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM

I've always had at least one 12 string since the 70s.

Folks have hit the high spots for me already in the thread, but for re-enforcement:

Used 12-strings are always around in the used market because folks buy them and then don't play them much. All the usual caveats about used guitar apply (and then some) with used 12-strings, so unless you know what you're getting yourself into make sure the neck and action are right on an example you buy.

The Guild JF30-12 is fine instrument. It's big (jumbo), and at least in my example, it's heavy. If you want low end-clarity it can give it to you. Has an interesting sound capo'ed up too. Powerful sound when strummed.

The Seagull S6-12 is less expensive and has a sound that contrasts with the Guild. Not the guitar for authoritative, projecting bass runs, but there a fundamental sweetness to the sound that I don't find worse than the Guild, just different. Like most cedar topped Seagulls sounds best picked fairly gently.

Like any guitar, how you play and what you like will change which guitar works best for you.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....