View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Did we read the same article?? I found it amusing because of how lame she found my music. I say that with no malice toward her, my teenage daughters thought it was pretty funny.
I read that same article and didn't feel the reviewer found your music lame - I found it to be quite positive. If I were in the area, that review would certainly make me want to come see you.

Reviewers bring their own bias. After we first retired, I worked for a short time (4 months) as an "editorial assistant" for a local arts and entertainment publication. I expected to be cleaning up copy, writing an occasional article, answering phones, and doing whatever else was needed. During spring break (South Padre Island, TX), I was tasked with putting together an events calendar... and writing "previews" of acts scheduled at various venues. Yes, an old guy writing about acts I had never heard of, targeting spring break audiences. I did a lot of internet research.

This was 2008. I had no idea who Flo-Rida was, and I am certainly not into that type of music. As the oldest guy on staff, there was a lot of snickering when I asked, "Has anyone heard of this Florida person?" Yeah, I had to go back and put all the hyphens back in his name, before sending it to print!

Proof positive that the reviewer doesn't have to have any specialized skills or taste... I was told how much copy to write and... "Don't make the advertisers mad."

Yours is a good review.