View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tipton View Post
You might try making sure your nail file only moves in one direction when filing and using lighter movements thus taking more time. Even when I am NOT playing, I find that the bottom of the nail (where the nail actually contacts the string...and EVERYTHING else) has to stay highly buffed. Of course this is important for good tone. I'm talking about when I am NOT playing. It significantly reduces snags and accidents.

I don't know if you or anyone else is interested, but I don't have much luck with nails on the steel strings. I have had tremendous luck with a product called AlskaPik. http://www.alaskapik.com/ Initially, you might spend a little more than you want through trial and error of getting the right sizes. For serious steel string playing, I absolutely love them.

I recommend the plastic ones. Although not as easily as natural nails, they too can be filed and shaped. Far more than just protecting your nails, I feel that they give the added power that a heavier built steel string instrument needs. If nothing else, when one hears the tone and power, they may never go back to natural nails.
Interesting nail pics but are they more comfortable than regular finger pics?