View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway40 View Post
Glenn, at 62 and have only been playing for 7 years i have so much appreciation for your style of play. This is the music i grew up with and its the style/music that makes me want to play the guitar. After reading some of your gracious reply' to the response to your playing,i must say, i am even more impressed! To play that by ear and feel your way thru the song is so cool and shows a degree of talent i can only dream about. Iam in a learning mode and have taken on music theory recently. Is there any thoughts you would share that have helped you over the years with learning and understanding of music and listening to translate into your playing? Such a beautiful piece of music to share,
Thank you again...
Hi Gateway,

Well, thank you for your generous comments and kind words.

I am not sure what to offer to help someone learn fast today, but it sounds to me like you are on the right track. The Internet can really provide us so much today.

You will note on the previous page that Dave (martingitdave, posts 54 and 58), we discussed that I will take a shot at making a tutorial video on "Vincent" to see if it might be useful to folks here. I hope it might help you.

My thoughts about learning today are pretty much like they were back in 1964 at age 16 when I started to learn to play. I have always wanted to be a singer of songs using the guitar. So my approach was to learn songs, do them as well as I could but not to obsess about them too much, memorize it, move on to another, and build a repertoire. My hope was to get better as I learned to play more.

And that's pretty much what happened. There are way better guitar players out there and way better singers, too, but the goal was not to be the best but to be able to make satisfying music. For most of us, that would be a pretty terrific goal to reach.

I was at a Tommy Emmanuel workshop in 2008 where Tommy was asked a similar question, and his answer was the same as mine. Learn songs, have fun, dive into it.

For me, sitting for a couple of hours and playing and singing stuff from memory is my idea of bliss. Well,... one of my ideas of bliss, as there are many forms, of course.

And at my age (69), singing from memory, I think, is a good idea to keep the old brain working well! Both of my parents passed away in recent years from the effects of Alzheimer's Disease, so I think about this a lot.

Thanks,
Glenn