View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Satisfaction from ownership of a thing is so subjective a topic!

As for it's cost and worth, well, a dollar value can be attached to any object.
It doesn't mean a thing until someone has money in hand and decides it is better to have the thing in hand than the money.

Autographs are just one example of the things people will pay money to acquire and have for a collection.

I wouldn't pay money for a Hummel figurine, but I've got an acquaintance with a cupboard full of them. Scaled down replicas of trucks and cars don't appeal to me either, but I've got a brother-in-law with unopened boxes of miniature trucks with oil company logos on the side. Both these folks dream of the huge value these collections will someday represent for their heirs.

When I downsized the items comprising my CD-music collection, I gained over a cubic foot of space by discarding all the CD artwork and jewel cases.

Only for the briefest of nano-seconds did I consider the original signatures that existed on some of the artwork, during which fleeting moment I couldn't derive a particle of satisfaction from knowing I had evidence of someone's ability to sign their name.

Keep those things that bring you joy. It's different for each of us and is alot of what makes us so interesting to one another!

My biggest collection by far is memories.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE