Thread: 12-string?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhalliday View Post
How do you get "into" a 12-string? Do I need special lessons? Can you fingerpick one of these beasts? Should I be pretty good player before attempting to play a 12-string?

Any thoughts from someone else who has made the transition?
I learned to play guitar on a 12-string—in hindsight, a 12-string wasnt the easiest way to go for a novice player. But it made the transition to 6-string relatively painless.
No special lessons needed—just spend some time developing the finger-strength and dexterity a 12-string can require. If you are dedicated to the 12, you'll amaze yourself how quickly it will start to feel more 'natural' and the intimidation factor diminishes.

I also agree with the observation that Taylor 12s are 'easy' to play compared to some other manufacturers—but it really matters how the guitar itself is set-up. A good set-up is pretty invaluable in determining the level of frustration or joy a 12-string can provide the player.

Play a variety of 12-strings. I love the rumbly tone of the Guild 12-strings more so than the Taylors I've heard & played. Breedlove also makes a very NICE 12-string.