View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 AM

Default Does anyone know Don Ross' live rig?/I need help with live sound

Hey everyone,

So I saw Don last week and obviously it was awesome. I am just starting to getingto playing out live and I am very dissapointed with my live sound, mostly because of the face I don't control it.
I was looking at Don's gear and it looks like this:

Guitar-> unpowered mixer(with an effect pedal through the effects loop)-> preamp-> house

Does that sound right? Also if it is right could I get a set up like this and power speakers for playing small shows and when I play big shows use my speakers as monitors and use the main output to the house? I'm looking to get a good sounding setup and use my own speakers and I'm really confused with preamps and powered/unpowered mixers. I also heard powered mixers are only usefull live, recording with them sucks so thats why I am interested in unpowered mixers, I would like to use it to play live and record at home.

I'm really new to this live sound stuff. Sorry if I don't make sense, feel free to ask me anything.

P.S. Why do so many people use preamps live? Mixers look like you have so much more control.

Guitars(in the order the were purchased):
-2008 Alvarez PJ85SCDVS(installed with a Pezio UST and a mini condenser mic. Duel systems are awesome!)
-2000 Washburn OE-30: Orange
-1977 Yamaha G-65-1: Natural
-1967 Stella H-912: Maroon Sunburst
-2002 Stagg C510: Natural
-1996 Epiphone DR-100: Sunburst

My YouTube Videos

My MySpace